Last week we were traveling and drove to Washington, D.C. for my step daughter’s graduation. We rented a car, stayed in Hotels, and drove back with the vehicle and roof-top storage packed to the gills after moving her out of her dorm room. I supplemented our diet of free-hotel-breakfasts and fast-casual restaurants with carrot sticks, clementines, and applesauce, and we enjoyed two nice meals out at Matchbox and Haikan in D.C. It was a great trip, and we couldn’t be more proud of her, but I have to say that I’m pretty thankful to be back in my own kitchen/routine this week. Here’s the plan, which is already in progress:
- Monday was not-my-night-to-cook for friends dinner, and our friends made cheeseburgers.
- Tuesday I had some leftover pork roast, so we had BBQ pork sandwiches and salad for dinner.
- Wednesday I took inspiration from the Dogo Norteno at a local restaurant, so I grilled my bacon wrapped turkey jalapeno sausages, then topped them with avocado, grilled onions, cilantro, mustard, ketchup, and mayo. No mayo coleslaw on the side.
- Thursday I’m bringing back Stirfry Stursday! Simple garlic/soy/ginger sauce with chicken thighs, loads of veggies, served over rice. Shrimp spring rolls on the side.
- Friday it’s Kimathi’s night to cook. He wants to do “something with Linguini” and is still researching recipes after I vetoed his request to freestyle his first meal. This decision is more delayed than usual due to travel.
Weekend cooking projects will include pumpkin muffins, grilled chicken, a variety of grilled veggies, pasta salad, my favorite chocolate layer cake, and if I don’t run out of time I’ll also test out a new pizza dough recipe.