Last week, it was my turn to host Friends Dinner. It landed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and Jill graciously allowed us to have our dinner at her home and have a pool party while we were at it. Here’s what I provided for dinner:
- A variety of fresh bread: Telera Rolls, Sesame Kaiser Rolls, and Multigrain bread
- Way too many cheeses: Sharp Cheddar, Smoked Provolone, Havarti, Pepperjack
- Meats: 2 lbs Turkey (I’d get more next time), 2 lbs Ham, a big chunk of sliced hard salami (less next time)
- Mayo, mustard, miracle whip, sliced pickles, sliced pepperoncini peppers, lettuce (more next time), sliced tomatoes (less next time), avocado, pickled onions, cilantro, and a few kids of hummus.
- Red lentil soup with Berbere (an African spice mix), Chickpeas, potato, onion, carrot, celery, tomato puree, other seasonings.
- Creamy chicken wild rice – this ran out so I’ll make a double or triple batch next time.
- Bags of chips
- Veggies and dip
- Salad (skip next time)
- Cutie mandarin oranges (more next time)
- Rice Krispie treats, half plain and half with fruity pebbles.
- Chocolate chip cookies
I definitely had a lot of bread and a lot of hard salami leftover but I’m not sure I’ll recreate this enough in the future to adjust portions. We did have a number of people added to the dinner that aren’t in the usual group, but if I make this type of meal again I’ll definitely make more creamy chicken wild rice soup.