We’re at the point in winter where I’m dreaming about grilling recipes. Here in Minnesota it’s still well below zero, and while I can technically still fire up the grill, it takes a lot longer, eats up a lot of propane, and it’s just plain not as pleasant to be outside tending various meats. Here’s my current I-want-to-grill-this-list:
- Boneless leg of lamb with a caper and mint sauce. It’s fresh and savory, and everything I want lamb to be.
- Lemon pepper chicken wings. It’s nothing more than sprinkling on the lemon pepper seasoning (I like McCormick Perfect Pinch Lemon Pepper Seasoning), grilling the wings on high heat, then tossing them in melted butter before serving. Oven baked wings are never as good, and they aren’t nearly as speedy.
- Steak with Chimichurri. It doesn’t get any better. I like this recipe, but I don’t follow the measurements on the herbs too closely. It’s tasty with olive oil, but I’ve been really happy with avocado oil as well.
- Grilled corn on the cob, which is really good when you can get fresh, local sweet corn. If you can get it on the grill within a few hours of it being picked in late July here in Minnesota, your life will be forever changed.
- Grilled Naan pizzas! Pre-made naan, topped with sauce and your favorite toppings, grilled briefly with the lid closed. It’s about 10,000 times better than any frozen pizza.
I could go on and on, but since I won’t be grilling until the snow melts, I’ll move on to my weekly menu plan.
- Monday It’s our weekly friends dinner, and it’s not my night to cook.
- Tuesday Cheeseburgers, toppings vary depending on the person. Mine will need caramelized onions, mushrooms, and provolone cheese. We’ll have salad on the side with romaine lettuce, red cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, and a quick homemade vinaigrette.
- Wednesday Vegetarian burritos loaded up with black beans, fajita-style peppers & onions, cilantro lime rice, sour cream, guacamole, and a few different salsas. After assembling the burrito I toast it up in a little bit of canola oil, which takes it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
- Thursday Is Stirfry Stursday! Yes, I’m still trying to make that a thing. Say it fast and don’t think about it too much. This week will be chicken in a Thai-ish-peanut sauce, broccoli, pea pods, a healthy shake of toasted sesame seeds, and served over white rice.
- Friday There has been a formal request for a sushi night. I’m not confident in my rolling skills, but I hear the only way to get better is to practice and my crew is happy to be test subjects. I’ll be researching a few different combos throughout the week, and will have a few sides like edamame and beef skewers to bulk up the meal.
So that’s the plan! This will be our first free Saturday after Basketball season ends, which is bittersweet. I may or may not pack up the crew and make them play basketball at our local YMCA to celebrate.