Life sure is a lot like life right now. Which means that there are about 20 different things going on, some good, some sad, some that are just plain exhausting.
- Monday There was no cooking. Because my son put a dried pinto bean in his ear, and getting that out took the whole evening. Apparently it’s not as uncommon as it should be. The lesson is thoroughly learned.
- Tuesday Fried chicken. It’s really happening today, because the drums are marinating and that means that I can’t put it off anymore. I am armed with an oil thermometer, and a fire extinguisher. Sides will be dirty rice and brussels sprouts.
- Wednesday Meatloaf-in-a-crock-pot, mashed potatoes, salad. This will all be made ahead, because it’s the funeral of my dear friend’s mom.
- Thursday Stir fried rice noodles with broccoli, carrots, and cabbage. Chicken with turmeric, black pepper, and ginger in a soy & sweet chili sauce. Dumplings on the side.
- Friday Grilled stuffed burritos (like a chimichanga, but way less oil and no sauce on top), with guac, sour cream, and salsa on the side. Veggies everywhere. Chips for dipping.
- Saturday Breakfast Pancakes, turkey sausage, and plenty of fruit.
This weekend, I’m adding in a cooking project. My plan is to put some smoked turkey legs to work. About half will be made into a hearty soup, some will be used with greens, and the remaining will be saved for breakfast sandwiches and freezer burritos. It will be the latest installment in an ever continuing quest for leftovers.