What a difference (nearly) two years makes. This past weekend, we made the trip to visit Minnehaha Falls. We do it often, I take pictures each time, and it’s always a blast. Except for the part where I get all choked up because they’re trying something new, or they’re just SO much bigger than the last time we were there. We go there at least once a month, so realistically it can’t be that big of a difference.
This time however, I went far enough back to see a BIG difference. Not only a difference in the boys (sniff), but a difference in the falls themselves. In November of 2012 we were at the end of a season of drought. The boys were playing in a dry creek bed, and they were so itty bitty that I just can’t take it.
They even found ice in the shallow pools and happily smashed it to bits!
Fast forward to last Saturday, and the water level had changed almost as much as the boys had.
They were wading with whitewater rapids it the background. And looking far too grown up for my taste. Has anyone discovered a way to rewind kids back to being baby sized?
The water had even eaten up part of the path, so we didn’t go all the way to the Mississippi like we usually do.
Also- do you see how the water is basically up to the top of that bridge? Here’s the boys playing under it in 2012:
One last one of then…
They’re so big and brave! Which is awesome. But I would like it to stop now, please.
[Insert sobbing here]
Back to business. Here is the deal: I have 10 million things to do around the house, outside of the house, and with the boys this week. There’s no Tee Ball or Near Ball because it’s a holiday week. There’s also no school or work on Friday, so the law states that we have to go swimming.
What does this all mean? It means I don’t want to cook this week. At all. But since that’s not actually realistic or affordable, here is the plan.
- Monday Chicken with mustard-cream sauce, rice pilaf, green beans.
- Tuesday Stir fried rice noodles with soy/sesame, beef, broccoli, carrots, and whatever other veggies I can throw at em.
- Wednesday Cheese Enchiladas, salad, beans and rice.
- Thursday Chicken thighs topped with peppers, onions and cheese. Served with Mashed potatoes and broccoli. This is faster and easier than it sounds, and only uses two pans, a cutting board, and a single knife when I do it right. It’s on the table in about 22 minutes.
- Friday Burgers, corn, veggies and dip. The buns will be these overnight refrigerator rolls, made to the size of burger buns and topped with sesame seeds.
- Weekend I have no idea. This past weekend I ended up making a delicious crockpot meatloaf recipe, so I’ll probably experiment with other crockpot options.
That’s all folks! Any tips on how to not turn into a blubbering mess every time I see old pictures? It would be much appreciated.